Summary of Climate Scenarios for the Prairie Provinces - 2020's, 2050's, 2080's
- Generally increasing temperatures, with the greatest increases at nighttime and during the winter and spring seasons
Increasing Precipitation yet Drier Overall
- Probably slight increases in precipitation, but not enough to keep pace with temperature increases. Increased evaporation and transpiration by plants will result in a drier summer and fall landscape.
More Frequent Extreme Events
- Severe storms, flooding, and extreme temperatures will become more frequent.
- Multi-year and severe drought in the greatest challenge.
Generally Less Surface Water
- Less surface water, including less water in the form of snow and ice
- Increased variability, including earlier peak flows in rivers and streams
Decreasing Soil Moisture
Longer Growing Season